Canada Study Permit

Studying in Canada can, in time, pave the way to settle there. A lot of permanent residency streams like the fact people have studied in Canada, not only do they then fall under the minimum education level for moving to Canada but it shows the applicant can fit in and therefore has a better chance of settling there.

This doesn't just apply to further education but applies to children moving with parents who need to attend school in Canada.

Each province and territory is responsible for their own education system therefore it is important that the applicant knows where they want to settle.

canada study permit

Study Permit

Any child under the age of 18 (19 in certain provinces and territories) is classed as a minor. If the child is outside Canada and wants to study for more than six months then they need to apply for a study permit.

Requirements are as follows:

  • The parents or guardian must prove that the child will have care and support during their study time in Canada.
  • Minor children under the age of 17 must either be with their parents or guardian or the parents need to appoint a custodian who has to be either a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident.
  • If there is to be a custodian then the custodian form needs to be submitted with the study permit application.
  • An acceptance letter from the school must be submitted with the study permit application UNLESS the parents have a valid work permit.

Applying for a Study Permit within Canada

Minor children may study without a study permit if any of the following applies:

  • Children in kindergarten do not need a study permit regardless of their parent’s status
  • Their parents have a valid work or study permit and they want to attend pre-school, primary or secondary school in Canada.
  • Are in Canada as part of a study program of six months or less.
  • Are in Canada by themselves.

However, minors who do not require a study permit must still be on a valid visitor visa during their stay.

We can advise on the requirements of each province and territory.

Do you qualify for a Canadian study permit? Find out today!

Explore all Canadian visa options

Disclaimer: Intergate Emigration is not an agency or affiliated with the Canadian Government and we act independently in the interests of our clients. We act as an agent for Nwando Oranye, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant who provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the local authorities, subject to lodging a valid application using the forms available on the government website and meeting the relevant criteria.Our licensed immigration consultant is registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Nwando Oranye's registration number is R520558 . All her services comply with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and her services with the compiling of visa and permit applications and her relocation services are unavailable through government channels. The application forms used during the immigration process can also be collected free of charge at any Canadian Government. Read our privacy policy here.

Copyright © 2021 Intergate Emigration. All rights reserved.