Canadian Experience Class (CEC)

The Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is for skilled workers who have already worked in Canada for twelve months and want to apply for their permanent residency visa.

Skilled workers include professionals and tradespeople falling under Canada’s requirements. We can advise you on the particular professions and trades, there are over 350 professions alone.

The Immigration, Refugee’s and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recognize talented workers already employed in Canada and want to keep them and therefore will encourage them to apply for permanent residency.

canadian experience class

In recent years the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) has been managed via the Express Entry system and therefore applicants are chosen on a demand basis rather than a first come, first served basis.

Canada encourages foreigners who can contribute towards the economy and growth of Canada. The Express Entry system enables the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) to pick the top-qualifying people who have applied for permanent residency based on what they can offer to the country.

Do I qualify for permanent residency under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC)?

If you have lived and worked for a minimum period of twelve months in a classified occupation as decided by the Immigration, Refugee’s and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) then you are one step closer to obtaining your permanent residency into Canada. This is applied for via the Express Entry system, which is a point based system for foreigners wishing to obtain permanent residency into Canada.

The IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) offer points to foreigners wanting to immigrate to Canada on whether they have lived, worked or studied in Canada before. The IRCC want to see that you can adapt. With the Canada Experience Class (CEC) you have already proved that you can fit in.

Unlike a Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWC) or Federal Skilled Trades Class (FSTC), a Canadian Experience Class (CEC) is not required to show proof of funds when submitting their application.

What is Express Entry?

The Express Entry system is one of the quickest ways to gaining permanent residency for Canada and can be even quicker if you fall under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC). It is managed on a point basis and points are awarded depending on various factors.

The IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) will invite candidates who have made an ‘Expression of Interest’ (EOI) to obtain permanent residency into Canada.

For the Canadian Experience Class these are some of the requirements:

  • Language – a proficiency in reading, writing, listening and speaking in English and/or French is a must. A language test needs to be taken at an approved centre. You can earn a maximum points for proficiency in your first language and a further points should you meet the required level in your second language. Remember though, your first and second language has to be English and French.
  • Plan to live and work outside Quebec. Quebec has it’s own program for people wanting to immigrate to their province.
  • Must have been employed with a valid work permit.
  • Must have been employed within the last three years.
  • Further points can be gained if you are eligible to apply under the Provincial Nominee Program.

In addition to these factors additional points can be awarded if you gain more work experience or for example you can submit educational certificates. The higher the level of education the more points are awarded. Unfortunately though, despite falling under the Canadian Experience Class (CEC) you do not automatically guarantee your ‘Invitation to Apply’.

Once your profile is completed and submitted with all relevant documents and a score obtained from your ‘Expression of Interest' (EOI) will go into the Express Entry pool where the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) send you an ‘Invitation to Apply’ (ITA) for your permanent residency into Canada.

The IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) carry out a regular draw of applicants with the highest number of points. If they draw out your application otherwise known as Invite to Apply (ITA) you then have a number of days to submit the rest of the required paperwork such as medical certificates and a police report to prove you do not have a criminal record.

Please remember as a Canadian Experience Class (CEC) you do not need to supply proof of funds that will support you in Canada.

Even if your profile and your expression of interest into the Express Entry system into Canada has been submitted you can at any time amend your profile should your situation change. It may be that changes in your situation could gain you more points.

Your Express Entry expression of interest (application) is only valid for one year. If you are not invited to apply during this time then you can re-submit your profile (application) and enter the Express Entry pool as long as you still meet the criteria. However, do remember that you need to have worked in Canada within 36 months of submitting your ‘Expression of Interest’ (EOI).

Do you qualify for the Canadian Experience Class? Find out today!

Canada Work Visas

Explore all Canadian visa options

Disclaimer: Intergate Emigration is not an agency or affiliated with the Canadian Government and we act independently in the interests of our clients. We act as an agent for Nwando Oranye, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant who provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the local authorities, subject to lodging a valid application using the forms available on the government website and meeting the relevant criteria.Our licensed immigration consultant is registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Nwando Oranye's registration number is R520558 . All her services comply with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and her services with the compiling of visa and permit applications and her relocation services are unavailable through government channels. The application forms used during the immigration process can also be collected free of charge at any Canadian Government. Read our privacy policy here.

Copyright © 2021 Intergate Emigration. All rights reserved.