Family Sponsorship

Family sponsorship is open to anyone who has permanent residency or is a Canadian Citizen and has the means to support the family member they are sponsoring. The term relatives cover spouse, partner, dependent children, parents and grandparents, siblings, aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews.

canadian family sponsorship

Sponsoring a spouse or common law partner

A spouse can be either sex and must be legally married to the applicant and over 18 years of age.

A common law partner isn’t legally married to the applicant but must have been living with the applicant for a minimum of 12 months and the applicant needs to show proof of this by submitting documents such as a lease in both names, utility bills, id documents. If the relationship ends then the visa is no longer valid.

Sponsoring a conjugal partner

A conjugal partner isn’t legally married or in a common law relationship with the applicant. The applicant needs to prove why they and their conjugal partner are not living together or are not married. This could be due to religious reasons, marital reasons or same sex relationships.

Sponsoring a child

Children under the age of 22 are classed as dependent providing they are not married or in a common law relationship. If a child over 22 is dependent on the applicant then they must prove that they are unable to financially support themselves due to a mental health problem or a physical condition.

Sponsoring other family members

An interest to sponsor form needs to be submitted and if the applicant is then invited to make an application then proof needs to be shown that the sponsored family member can be supported financially by the sponsor and that no government assistance is needed.

Can you join your family in Canada? Find out today!

Explore all Canadian visa options

Disclaimer: Intergate Emigration is not an agency or affiliated with the Canadian Government and we act independently in the interests of our clients. We act as an agent for Nwando Oranye, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant who provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the local authorities, subject to lodging a valid application using the forms available on the government website and meeting the relevant criteria.Our licensed immigration consultant is registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Nwando Oranye's registration number is R520558 . All her services comply with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and her services with the compiling of visa and permit applications and her relocation services are unavailable through government channels. The application forms used during the immigration process can also be collected free of charge at any Canadian Government. Read our privacy policy here.

Copyright © 2021 Intergate Emigration. All rights reserved.