Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWC)

Do you qualify under the Federal Skilled Worker Class (FSWC) for immigration into Canada via an Express Entry system?

The Express Entry system is one of the quickest ways to gaining permanent residency for Canada. Canada encourages foreigners who can contribute towards the economy and growth of Canada. The Express Entry system enables the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) to pick the top-qualifying people who have applied for permanent residency based on what they can offer to the country.

federal skilled worker

So what is a Federal Skilled Worker?

A Federal Skilled Worker is a skilled professional with a suitable education and work experience. To give you an idea of some of the professions you could fall under we have listed some below. There are 347 professions on the list so don’t be disheartened if you don’t meet the criteria above. We will advise you on the other professions.

  • At manager level.
  • Be in a professional occupation such as finance or HR.
  • Be in a technical occupation such as a technologist or technical with production and performing arts.

Other criteria a Federal Skilled Worker must meet:

  • Must have worked for at least one year in the chosen professions or the equivalent if part time work in the past ten years.
  • Age is a factor. The younger you are the more points you will gain but don’t be put off if you don’t gain the maximum in age there are other ways to pick up points.
  • Language – a proficiency in reading, writing, listening and speaking in English and/or French is a must. A language test needs to be taken at an approved centre. You can earn a maximum of 24 points for proficiency in your first language and a further 4 points should you meet the required level in your second language. Remember though, your first and second language has to be English and French.
  • Canadian educational credential (certificate, diploma, or degree) or foreign credential and Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report.
  • If you have any family residing in Canada either as a Canadian citizen or as a permanent resident you can gain further points for this. The family members can be parents, grandparents, siblings, spouses including common law, child, grandchild, aunt, uncle, niece or nephew.
  • Previous experience of living in Canada either working or studying will also award you further points. The IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) want to see that you can adapt to living in Canada hence awarding additional points.
  • An offer of employment will also gain additional points.
  • The higher level you have reached in education will also help.

In order to be eligible to apply under the Federal Skilled Worker Program and therefore be able to create an Express Entry profile you need to meet the minimum requirements and obtain at least 67 points under the programs 100-point grid.

Once your expression of interest is submitted your application will go into the Express Entry pool and IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) carry out a regular draw of applicants, otherwise known as Invitation to Apply (ITA) with the highest number of points. If your application is drawn out and you receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) you have a certain period of time to submit the rest of the required paperwork such as medical certificates, proof of funds and a police report to prove you do not have a criminal record.

Once you are in the Express Entry pool, IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) use a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) to rank your profile.

Once your profile and your expression of interest into the Express Entry system into Canada has been submitted you can at any time amend it should your situation change. It may be that changes in your situation could gain you more points.

Your Express Entry expression of interest is only valid for one year. If you are not invited to apply during this time then you can re-submit your profile and enter the Express Entry pool as long as you still meet the criteria.

The Express Entry visa is exactly that, an express way of gaining permanent residency into Canada.

Do you meet the Federal Skilled Worker criteria? Find out today!

Canada Work Visas

Explore all Canadian visa options

Disclaimer: Intergate Emigration is not an agency or affiliated with the Canadian Government and we act independently in the interests of our clients. We act as an agent for Nwando Oranye, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant who provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the local authorities, subject to lodging a valid application using the forms available on the government website and meeting the relevant criteria.Our licensed immigration consultant is registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Nwando Oranye's registration number is R520558 . All her services comply with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and her services with the compiling of visa and permit applications and her relocation services are unavailable through government channels. The application forms used during the immigration process can also be collected free of charge at any Canadian Government. Read our privacy policy here.

Copyright © 2021 Intergate Emigration. All rights reserved.