Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program (NLPNP)

The province consists of two distinct areas - Labrador, which is connected to the mainland, and Newfoundland, which is an island off the coast. Most people reside in St Johns, which is the capital of the province.

There are different entry schemes to get you in Newfoundland and Labrador and these are listed below. They cover all different options.

Newfoundland and Labrador Provincial Nominee Program

Express Entry Skilled Worker

As you would imagine this category is for a skilled worker, which in essence means a skilled worker who qualifies for access to the Express Entry pool by collating a certain number of points and passing a minimum.

Once the minimum number of points are reached through the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), access to the Express Entry pool is allowed and through this the IRCC (Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada) will choose an applicant and put them forward for an Invitation to Apply (ITA).

However, prior to entry to the Express Entry pool the applicant needs to meet the following requirements:

  • Have a full time job offer or a full job from a Newfoundland and Labrador employer and must be at a certain National Occupation Classification. We can assist on these levels.
  • They must have a valid work permit or at least the rights to apply for one.
  • Have achieved a certain level of education with a minimum of a Canadian post secondary degree or diploma by a recognized education institute. The Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) must issue a report and submit to the IRCC, Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada.
  • A minimum level of work experience based on the profession and occupation of which the application is linked to.
    • A minimum of at least twelve months or the equivalent of 1560 hours (30 hours per week) paid work experience. Note, volunteer and unpaid internships are also not considered.
    • The work experience has to be within the past ten years and has to fall under the NOC (National Occupation Classification) band.
  • All applicants must have at least one year of paid work experience in the past ten years in a skilled profession (non trade) or:
    • Have at least two years of paid work experience in a skilled trade within the past five years, or:
    • The application must be able to submit eligibility or provincial licensure or certification if applicable.
  • Demonstrate genuine interest and ability to settle permanently in Newfoundland and Labrador.
  • Be proficient in French and/or English and sit a test with a recognized language institution.
  • Score a minimum of 67 points from 100 on the PNP assessment grid.
  • Show proof of sufficient settlement funds ot at least financial resources to prove that they can establish themselves and any family within the province.

Again this is not so straight forward so we can advise you further on funding levels.

Skilled Worker

The Skilled Worker category is similar to the Express Entry Skilled Worker without the Express Entry.

Again a number of requirements are needed:

  • You must have a full time or contract for at least two years from an eligible employer in New Foundland and Labrador. Earnings and benefits should meet provincial employment standards and the minimum wage.
  • Required training, qualifications, skills, experience and an accreditation is needed.
  • As in a valid work permit with duration of at least four months remaining at the time of applying.
  • Show that you are willing to settle within Newfoundland and Labrador as well as prove that you have sufficient funds and financial resources to provide for you, the applicant as well as your family and any dependents.
  • As with any permanent residency application for Canada a strong language proficiency must be shown for French and/or English and a test must be taken at a recognized language institution. You must be able to converse, read and write.

It’s not just the applicant who needs to meet a certain criteria; employers also need to adhere to rules. There are many, however, the main one being that they have attempted to apply either a Canadian Citizen or failing that a Canadian Permanent Resident.

Eager to know if you qualify to work in Canada? Let our licensed immigration consultant assess your eligibility.

International Graduate Category

Recent graduates of a Canadian post secondary institution who are in Canada on a Post Graduate Work Permit. Employment or an employment offer by a Newfoundland and Labrador employer must be valid and must be a position that is related to your skills, experience and/or training.

Again a lot of the requirements such as age, language proficiency, funding, qualifications etc. still apply but we can advise you on this.

International Entrepreneur

As this category suggests this is for prospective entrepreneurs who wish to permanently reside in Newfoundland and Labrador and are experienced business owners or senior business managers. Both a new or existing business must be set up and you must actively be involved in the day to day running of it. After one year the international entrepreneur can be nominated for permanent resident.

There is a list of usual requirements, which again involve age, language proficiency, education level and want to and can prove that they wish to reside in Newfoundland and Labrador. However, with an International Entrepreneur category there are other things to consider:

  • A business plan needs to be compiled with supporting financial documents and verified by a recognized third party. The applicant is responsible for settling any accounts outstanding from this.
  • Have a minimum of CAD600,000 in net business and personal assets that can be available to be transferred to Canada.
  • Be able to invest at least CAD200,000 of their own money to be able to establish the business and with a minimum ownership of 33.3% or failing that a CAD1m equity investment.
  • A job opportunity must be available for at least one full time local population, which can be either Canadian Citizenship or a Permanent Resident.
  • The business must be a for profit entity with the primary purpose of contributing to profits either through sales of services.
  • It is critical that at least two years experience actively managing, being involved and owning a business with a 25% minimum ownership within the last five years can be proved.
  • There is also a non-refundable fee of CAD1000 to pay for the principal application and each associated partners.

As with the Express Entry system, the International Entrepreneur category needs to submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) to then receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA).

There will be a set time in which to complete the documents required prior to a In Person Interview.

Following on from your In Person Interview you will receive a Business Performance Agreement which then needs to be completed and submitted Upon completion OIM (Office of Immigration of Multiculturalism) will issue you with an International Entrepreneur Approval Letter and you will then apply to the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) for your work permit prior to your PR be granted after one year of trading. Please, however, remember that should the IRCC refuse your work permit your application becomes null and void and you will no longer be able to gain your permanent residency via the International Entrepreneur Category.

The International Entrepreneur entry category can be one of the most complex ones as there are businesses that can qualify yet those that cant so we recommend you call us to discuss your case further.

International Graduate Entrepreneur

This program is for graduates of Memorial University or College of the North Atlantic who have either already started or bought a local business and did maintain day to day operations for at least one continuous year. Again there is a list of necessary requirements, which we can advise you on.

Atlantic Pilot Program

The Atlantic Pilot Program is a relatively new program introduced for employers to fill skill gaps and labour market needs by assisting employers to attract foreign skilled workers.

Employers must meet certain requirements and can bring workers in under the following programs:

  • High Skilled
  • Intermediate Skilled
  • International Graduates

Do you qualify for a Canadian work visa? Find out today!

Canada Provincial Nominee Program

Explore all Canadian visa options

Disclaimer: Intergate Emigration is not an agency or affiliated with the Canadian Government and we act independently in the interests of our clients. We act as an agent for Nwando Oranye, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant who provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the local authorities, subject to lodging a valid application using the forms available on the government website and meeting the relevant criteria.Our licensed immigration consultant is registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Nwando Oranye's registration number is R520558 . All her services comply with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and her services with the compiling of visa and permit applications and her relocation services are unavailable through government channels. The application forms used during the immigration process can also be collected free of charge at any Canadian Government. Read our privacy policy here.

Copyright © 2021 Intergate Emigration. All rights reserved.