Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP)

So how do I immigrate to Saskatchewan, Canada?

With one of the highest economic growth across Canada, Saskatchewan offers lots of open space, a strong education system and vibrant city life.

Employers are looking for skilled workers in various sectors including agricultural, mining, education and healthcare amongst others.

The Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program (SINP) has been developed for people wanting to immigrate to Canada but who may not have the necessary requirements to apply via a federal scheme such as the Express Entry system.

Saskatchewan Immigrant Nominee Program

There are four categories you can fall under:

  1. International Skilled Worker Category (ISW) – You can apply under this category if you are a skilled foreign worker wanting to work and live in Saskatchewan.
  2. Saskatchewan Experience Category – You can apply under this category if you already have experience of living and working in Saskatchewan.
  3. Entrepreneur Category – You can apply under this category if you are starting a business in Saskatchewan.
  4. Farm Category – You can apply under this category if you plan to own and actively operate a farm in Saskatchewan.

International Skilled Worker (ISW)

There are two options that fall under this category:

  • International Skilled Worker: Employment Offer
  • International Skilled Worker: Occupation in Demand

International Skilled Worker: Employment Offer

You must be a skilled worker and have an offer of employment and meet the criteria of the sub category which can change at any time, however, the Saskatchewan government will stand by the criteria advertised at the time of your application.

If you can score a minimum of 60 points out of 100 on the Saskatchewan point assessment grid. Points are awarded on:

  • Level of education reached.
  • Language ability in English and French
  • Age – applicants between the ages of 22 and 34 score the maximum number of points.
  • Intent to settle and economically grow in Saskatchewan.
  • Skilled work experience

International Skilled Worker: Occupation in Demand

This applies if you don't have an offer of employment but are highly skilled and your occupation is listed as an on demand occupation. We can provide you with guidance on these occupations.

As with the International Skilled Worker, Employment Offer point assessment program, the International Skilled Worker, Occupation in Demand also needs to meet the following minimum criteria:

  • Intent to settle and economically grow in Saskatchewan.
  • Skilled work experience of a minimum of 12 months in the 5 10 year period before your application is submitted.
  • Obtain proof of Professional Status or Licensure (for regulated occupations or those with professional certification standards in Canada and/or Saskatchewan) if required by the SINP;
  • Have proof of required funds and a settlement plan.

You must be able to score a minimum of 60 points out of 100.grid. Points are awarded on:

  • Level of education reached.
  • Language ability in English and French
  • Age – Candidates between the ages of 22 and 34 score the maximum number of points.
  • Skilled work experience in your intended occupation in the previous ten years
  • Previous work experience in Saskatchewan, a minimum of twelve cumulative months within the previous 5 years on a valid work permit
  • Or…Previous study in Saskatchewan, a minimum of one years full time academic study at a recognized Saskatchewan education institute on a valid study permit.
  • Or… Close family relative residing in Saskatchewan.

To apply for this program an Expression of Interest (EOI) must be submitted to Saskatchewan. If you are eligible and meet the required criteria you will be sent an Invitation to Apply (ITA). Those with high scores within the Expression of Interest pool are more likely to receive an invite.

If your application is accepted you will receive a Saskatchewan provincial nomination certificate, which you can use to apply for Canadian permanent residence with Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

Once you receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) a fee is payable and the additional paperwork such as medical, police clearance and proof of language ability, work experience, qualifications, proof of funds and proof of a close relative residing in Saskatchewan.

Saskatchewan Experience Category

Another category you may be eligible to apply under if the Saskatchewan Experience Category. In order to meet this criterion you need to fall under one of the following sectors:

  • A skilled worker with an existing work permit. A skilled worker that has been working in Saskatchewan for at least six months under a valid work permit
  • Health Professionals – Physicians, nurses or other health professionals. We can advise you in more detail on whether you would fall under this category.
  • Hospitality Sector Project – You must be currently working in one of the following roles:
    • Food and Beverage Service
    • Food counter /Attendant/Kitchen Helper
    • Housekeeping/Cleaning Staff
    • And be able to show:
      • You have been working for a SINP approved employer offering you a permanent position for at least six months.
      • Education level.
      • Language ability in both French and English.
      • Hold a valid SINP job approval letter.
  • Long-Haul Truck Driver Project – You must be:
    • Working on a temporary work permit for a SINP approved trucking firm for at least six months. The IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) will issue the temporary wok permit and will be based on a LMIA (Labour Market Impact Assessment) from Service Canada.
    • Have a current Saskatchewan Class 1A drivers licence.
    • Have a valid SINP job approval letter.
    • Meet the requirements for English and French languages.
  • Students
    • Graduated from a recognized post secondary education institute with a certificate, diploma or a degree.
    • Must have worked in Saskatchewan for at least twenty-four months before applying, or for six months if the institution is in Saskatchewan. (the requirement is different Graduate of Saskatchewan uni vs outside Saskatchewan)
    • You have a valid postgraduate work permit issued by IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) and have a current permanent full time job offer in your field of study and be listed on the National Occupation Classification (NOC) matrix and be with a Saskatchewan employer.

Eager to know if you qualify to work in Canada? Let our licensed immigration consultant assess your eligibility.

Entrepreneur Category

If you or your family intend to start, obtain or partner in a business in Saskatchewan and be actively involved in the business you will be eligible to apply for permanent resident via the Saskatchewan Entrepreneur Category.

There are three steps to this process.

1. Expression of Interest (EOI)

This is not an application as such, it is an Expression of Interest that you wish to operate a business and reside in Saskatchewan. You need to submit a Business Establishment Plan (EBP), information regarding your entrepreneurial experience and assets amongst other factors.

Candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be accepted into the EOI (Expression of Interest) pool and then be applicable to gain points against their point grid. The more points you gain the more chance you have of being selected to apply for a SINP (Saskatchewan Immigration Nominee Program)

In addition to meeting this criterion you the applicant also need to have:

  • A minimum of three years experience of relevant entrepreneurial or business management practice within the last ten years prior to submitting your Expression of Interest (EOI).
  • An investment of CAD300,000 for Regina and Saskatoon or CAD200,00 for other regions of Saskatchewan.
  • Funds to the value of CAD500, 00 minimum in either net business or personal assets.
  • Have and be able to demonstrate an in-depth knowledge of you Business Establishment Plan (BEP);
  • Own at least one-third (33.33 percent) of the equity of a business in Saskatchewan unless your total investment is $1,000,000 CAD or higher;
  • Create or maintain a minimum of two jobs for Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents in Saskatchewan (non-relative workers) if establishing a new business in Saskatoon or Regina;
  • If purchasing an existing business in Saskatoon or Regina, you must maintain the business’ staffing complement (the number of Canadian or permanent resident workers) in place at the time of purchase.
  • Reside in Saskatchewan with your dependent family members; and
  • Sign a business performance agreement with the Government of Saskatchewan, which will be provided by the SINP after the application is approved.

2. Invitation to Apply

If you are invited to apply (ITA) your Business Establishment Plan (BEP) must include your ownership of at least 33% of the equity within the business unless your investment is CAD1million or higher and the commitment to be actively involved in the day to day running, management and direction of the business as well as creating two active employment opportunities for permanent residents not related to you but only if you are starting a new business if in either Regina or Saskatoon.

You have 20 days from receiving the Invitation to Submit an Application (ISA) in which to pay a non refundable fee of CAD2,500 and a recognized third-party financial review for your online application. You then have 70 days in which to submit your application and your Business Establishment Plan (BEP) and then a further 90 days to submit your third party verification report. All documents need to be in either English or French.

If you meet the Entrepreneur Eligibility Criteria you will be invited for a final interview in either person or via a conference call. Upon completion of the Entrepreneurial Eligibility Criteria you will receive a Business Performance Agreement (BPA) to review and sign. This is based upon the information you have provided within your Business Establishment Plan and will detail the investment amount and the business sector you will operate your business under.

On receipt of the signed Business Performance Agreement (BPA) you will receive a Saskatchewan Immigration Nomine Program Entrepreneurial Approval Letter with instructions on how to apply to the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) for your Temporary Work Permit (TWP) which must be applied for within a three month period.

3. Once you satisfy the conditions of the Business Performance Agreement you can apply to be nominated by the SINP for permanent residence.

Farm Category

This sub-category is for experienced farmers with considerable capital looking to invest in a farming operation and settle in the province of Saskatchewan. This category offers you and your family the opportunity to immigrate to Saskatchewan to purchase and operate a farm in the province.

Don’t worry if all of this appears a bit daunting, that's what we are here to help with.

Do you qualify for a Canadian work visa? Find out today!

Canada Provincial Nominee Program

Explore all Canadian visa options

Disclaimer: Intergate Emigration is not an agency or affiliated with the Canadian Government and we act independently in the interests of our clients. We act as an agent for Nwando Oranye, a Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant who provides fee-based services in addition to the official government charges to advise, assist and represent clients through the often-complex visa application process. All decisions for granting of a visa remain with the local authorities, subject to lodging a valid application using the forms available on the government website and meeting the relevant criteria.Our licensed immigration consultant is registered with the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council (ICCRC). Nwando Oranye's registration number is R520558 . All her services comply with the Canadian Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) and her services with the compiling of visa and permit applications and her relocation services are unavailable through government channels. The application forms used during the immigration process can also be collected free of charge at any Canadian Government. Read our privacy policy here.

Copyright © 2021 Intergate Emigration. All rights reserved.