Yukon Nominee Program (YNP)
So how do I immigrate to Yukon, Cananda?
Yukon Express Entry (YEE)
The Yukon Nominee Program (YNP) allows access via the Express Entry system for skilled workers with a full time job offer in Yukon. If you fall under any program, Federal Skilled Workers, Federal Skilled Trades or Canadian Experience Class, within the Express Entry system you may be eligible to be nominated through this program gaining a potential 600 points towards your overall ranking.
If Yukon employers cannot fill a position with a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident then they now have access to the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) Express Entry pool of candidates.
You and your employer have to work on the nomination together. See below things that both parties need to adhere too.
- Be eligible for one of the Express Entry classes.
- Be in the Express Entry pool.
- Have sufficient funds to support you and your family.
- Have certificate of skills for Federal Skilled Trades from either a Canadian province or territory authority.
- Be able to sit and pass a language test in both English and French. This has to be for speaking, writing, talking and reading. The more proficient, the higher the score.
- Provide full education history and qualifications. The higher the qualification the higher the score.
- Plan to reside in Yukon.
The employer’s requirements:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- Has been registered and trading in Yukon full time for at least one year or three years for a non profit organization.
- Or to be a recognized government body in Yukon.
- Have current licenses.
- Meet the minimum requirements for territorial labour standards.
- Advertise the position locally for at least four weeks, actively seeking either Canadian citizens or permanent residents to fill the post. The advertisement has to have been marketed within a three-month period prior to the application and has to remain live until a decision is made on your application.
- Demonstrate that they have tried recruiting via two local channels and one national channel.
- Include the offer of employment with the application.
- Verify qualifications and work experience before submitting.
- Provide you with health insurance and to the same standard that a Yukon resident receives until you qualify for the territorial coverage.
- Pay at least the minimum wage for Yukon.
- Regardless of if you are already living in Yukon, the employer has to pay your air travel costs and also return air travel costs should you not be successful or you change your mind about the Yukon Nominee Program.
- Arrange for a screening interview with the Yukon Government Immigration Officer.
As you can see, the employer has to adhere to a lot to bring you into Yukon, however, like a lot of provinces and territories in Canada the skills are required and if they cannot be accessed locally then they will encourage foreigners to immigrate. Canada wants people who can add to the growth and economy of the country.
Just as with the Federal Skilled Worker, Federal Skilled Trades or Canadian Experience Class, the IRCC (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) will issue the Invitation to Apply (ITA)
Yukon Skilled Worker Program
This has the same requirements as the Yukon Express Entry (YEE) but without the access to the Express Entry system. Again you need to demonstrate your intention to reside in Yukon and also funds, language skills, work experience etc.
This does not follow the Federal Skilled Workers or the Federal Skilled Trades program and therefore does not work on a point based system.
Critical Impact Worker
This program was designed and introduced to allow employers to sponsor workers for immigration if they are semi skilled or unskilled but where there is a demand for the type of work they do.
Business Nominee Program
As you would expect this is for a business owner to start up a new business in Yukon, partner or buy and operate an existing business.
Don’t worry if all of these different immigration programs are baffling, we can advise you on the best route to take.